22 July 2013

coerced discipline

If there's ever a list of key elements to any kind of production,
discipline will be right on top.
Sure money, tooling, time and materials are important to pave the way,
but what's the use of a smooth road if there's nothing to travel on it.

The best instigator of discipline is a deadline,
like a pressure cooker that distills the purest concentration of thought.
Maybe that's why I'll procrastinate til the very end.
shiny




















These brake scoops are a perfect experiment in this.
Even with pre-prepared parts,
it still takes me days or weeks to become totally focused.
All my energy synchronized like winding an old clock.
perich brothers (and sister): brewing
perich brothers (and sister): learning curves
hammered


























I can barely call this a production run,
as only 3 pairs of scoops were needed for this batch.
The best matched pairs were picked out of the dwindling stacks,
finish hammered and filed to fit the backing plate.
drillium




















A couple nights before I had tried to charge on these things,
and that's when I realized how important it was to be focused.
A handful of these had been successfully made,
however the steps were tried but not totally true.
Too much time had been spent on the filling and polishing.
A revolutionary new method was thought up while grinding away.
It is a bit freaky I've solved so many problems when using a grinder.
weldium




















Here's where I screwed up a little bit playing the one-off game.
I've got a habit of premature polishing,
believing it helps to magnify the blemishes,
when really it's obvious they are already there.
In the six-off game it just wastes time.
premature polish




















Here you can see the weld ring after the grind-scour-polish.
Maybe I do this thinking there's a possibility they'll not be as noticable.
Whatever the case there was only one option.
ridge




















Looks easy enough to fix, right?
So much for streamlining this particular batch!
tiggled




















There was a ton of welding, grinding, sanding, buffing and polishing needed.
It's the trap where if it only takes a little more time to get that much better,
than just do it.
sandium




















Six scoops is the magic number to not get too overwhelmed.
Any more and there is a risk that I'll get lazy,
and they won't match or they'll be embarrassingly rough.
Of course that means next time I'll do 8.
shinium




















Here's a confusing pic.
Remember there's only one on each side facing forward.
This is just an easier single shot of the smooth and scalloped styles.
hot rod brake scoops - early ford
perich brothers & sister





















So some of you may wonder,
why do you show all the tricks?
Even if the steps seem easy,
there's so much time involved,
I feel sorry yet honored for anyone that copies these!

There was a point when I was sweating it out,
and #2 Jakob comes over to watch.
He asked "why do you do all the hard stuff, Dad?"
It was hard to think of a smart or correct reply and it made me think a bit.
For now I'll pass writing up my answer to him.

Hit me up if your interested...
Next batch coming soon!

TP

No comments:

Post a Comment