11 March 2013


What a relief that daylight savings time has finally arrived.
The days of darkness at 6pm have finally passed.

I've been slacking on our car projects,
life and making ends meet has become a priority.
In celebration of the change I made sure to throw some time in,
and wow what a slacker of a day.

u-joint modification

Way too much time was spent just studying what was going on,
like someone else had started the project and I am here to finish it.
Fortunately there wasn't too much stuff stashed in, on or around.
How many times have I said the death to a project is when it becomes a shelf!

After absorbing enough information,
the realization was that there were tons of little time consuming projects.
Nothing huge and grandiose that would show a ton of progress with little work.
40 piece tap and die set - montgomery ward

Is one of my problems finding something to post on this blog?
Usually this thing gets me more motivated.
Anyway while I was modifying this u-joint,
the old tap and die set was pulled out.
The perfect photo-op.
40 piece tap and die set - lithograph box

This box was a hand-me-down from my grandfather (papa),
and I've used it for at least 20 years now.
It has a bitchin lithograph box - made in Japan.
tap & die set - montgomery ward - 84-5575

This falls into the category of Papa's Hammer -
the one that has had the handle and head replaced a couple times,
but is still Papa's Hammer.

Most likely every tap in here is not the original tungsten steel special,
swapped one by one with better HSS or chromoly replacements.
Same with the handle,
 the cheesy montgomery ward version died long ago.
I will say the dies are all complete and have been used countless times.
The best thing is the box is a great way to organize,
although there is another shoebox (kid size!) full of handles and taps too.

Most importantly,
it's one of those feel good things that brings back important memories.
weld-on u-joint modification

My goal was to modify this weld-on u-joint for a temporary set screw,
so I could simulate the steering without actually welding.
It will also be good backup after.
1940 ford project

A good chunk of time was spent cutting down the steering column,
and centering the drag link for equal steering.
By then my hands were too greasy for blurry cellphone pictures.
With the extended daytime hours I've got to make sure I'm out here more often!


No comments:

Post a Comment