08 May 2015

Whaler Resto - part vi - STD list

Weird how a couple months ago,
the whaler project was a daily obsession.
Even 1-2 hours would help it progress.
Now time is a little tight.
Even with the late daylight,
other things are squeezed in.
Last month I chose the bench seat arrangement.
It was a tough decision,
but the mahogany was here,
and it seemed family oriented,
while allowing a work boat use too.
A Sunday was set aside to crank out some woodwork.
I was wound up like a spring,
as the plan relived in my head for a week.
The layout was based on the leftover bench remnants.
Cardboard rectangles were matched for each plank section,
and the console templates whittled down to fit.
Bummer to not have a picture,
as it had been taped up for a week.
The Morse controls were a craigslist score,
one of the deciding points on the 
Boston Whaler Currituck style side console.
A hiccup with the fitment,
even with a recessed spot,
the controls were a little wide.
What to do,
modify the wood or the boat?
Unfortunately I ran out of steam and time.
I did get some drink holders cut in.
A builders block sprang up,
after a STD list was penciled out.
A "chit-to-do" list means the end is close,
and all the specifics needed to finish can be mapped out.
You don't want to do this too early,
the longer the list the harder it is to start.
I suggest going in blind pretending it'll be easy.
The important thing is to separate necessities from the fru-fru stuff.
Certain tasks get the boat on the water,
other tasks make it more comfortable or useful,
then certain things just make it look cool.
You'd think the priority would be the utilitarian stuff,
but many times doing fru-fru work is what makes momentum to want to finish.
Another plus is getting tasks organized.
I realized the hull should be painted,
then the motor mount could be bolted on permanently.
The curves and edges made it tricky 
to figure out the waterline.
There's a nighttime method using string and a light,
the shadow is like a laser beam.
There is a factory guideline,
but it didn't match up.
The good old one-eye squint worked just fine.
A little off,
however there may be a third stripe later on.
If you're a long time reader,
ya may remember that green paint.
This stuff took weeks to harden up on the chopped 40.
Definitely took a risk using it on here,
as the same problem is happening.
It is slowly curing though,
just takes time and hot days.
Dang this thing was rough.
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment